Faculty of Humanities

Extending your period of study

All students registered at the University of Bern for a bachelor's or master's degree program may file a request for an extension of their period of study.

Submit your requests as follows:

  • Bachelor's: in the ninth semester
  • Master's: in the eigth semester

The major subject is the one that counts here. You do not need to submit an additional request for the minor.

The institute associated with your major subject must approve the request by stamping and signing it. If you enclose a letter with the request showing further plans for studies, the student advice service at your institute has to validate this.

The "Request for extension of period of study" form can be found here.

As soon as the Dean's office approves the extension of the period of study, we will notify you automatically via e-mail. This may take a few weeks.